All presentations made at last fall’s Annual New Mexico Water Conference are contained in the 43rd Annual Water Conference Proceedings, “Water Challenges on the Lower Rio Grande”. Copies of the proceedings will be mailed to conference participants in May. Others interested in obtaining a copy can send a check for $15.75 to NMWRRI, MSC 3167, Box 30001, Las Cruces, NM 88003.
The following is a list of the papers contained in the proceedings.
- Keynote Address: Transfer of Reclamation Project Water from Historic Irrigation to New M&I Uses Bureau of Reclamation Commissioner Eluid Martinez
- The Rio Grande Compact: Law of the River Chuck DuMars, UNM School of Law; Tom Turney, New Mexico State Engineer; Jack Hammond, Texas Rio Grande Compact Commissioner; Hal D. Simpson, Colorado State Engineer
- Regional Water Planning Update Richard Cheney, Interstate Stream Commission (ISC) Chair and Mary Helen Follingstad, ISC staff
- The Evolution of the Rio Grande Neal Ackerly, Dos Rios Consultants, Inc.
- New Mexico/Texas Water Commission: Update on Commission Activities Ed Archuleta, El Paso Water Utilities
- Luncheon Addresses: U.S. Congressman Joseph Skeen and Lieutenant Governor Walter Bradley
- Basin Guidelines and Hydrographic Survey of the Lower Rio Grande Calvin Chavez and Max Chavez, Office of the State Engineer
- Groundwater Modeling in the Lower Rio Grande Peter Balleau, Balleau Groundwater, Inc.
- U.S. Geological Survey Seepage Investigations of the Lower Rio Grande in the Mesilla Valley Ed Nickerson, USGS
- The Removal of Arsenic Compounds from Natural Water Sources Robert Wingo, NMSU
- Effects of Fire on the Spatial and Temporal Distribution of Mercury in Sediments of an Arid-Lands Reservoir Colleen Caldwell, NMSU
- Aquifer Sensitivity Assessment for the Mesilla Valley John Kennedy, WRRI
- Concentration of Viral Particles from Water by Ultrafiltration Kevin Oshima, NMSU
- An Assay for Toxic Chemicals Using Microorganisms James Botsford, NMSU
- National Water Resources Association Update Wayne Cunningham, NWRA
- New Mexico First’s Recommendations and the State Engineer-ISC Legislative Agenda for 1999 John Shomaker, John Shomaker & Associates, Inc.
- Water Quality on the Lower Rio Grande James Davis, NM Environment Department; Rodger Ferreira, U.S.G.S.; and Mark Jordan, TNRCC
- Conversion of Water from Agricultural to Municipal Use: How to do it John Utton, Sheehan, Sheehan & Stelzner, P.C.; Ed Archuleta, El Paso Water Utilities; Gary Arnold, EBID; and Len Stokes, Progressive Environmental Systems Inc.